The following is a conversation with Ben Burgis and this podcast is about the life of one of the most influential people on my life… Christopher Hitchens.
Hitchens’s politics was enormously divisive, and his position as one of the most prominent new atheists was so controversial, but my interest in this great man actually lies elsewhere.
Because what makes Hitchens someone who is so fascinating to me, and makes him someone who had such an outsized impact on the way I think, the way I talk and even to a degree my values as well… is everything else about Hitch.
It is his attitude, his eclectic range of curiosities, his friendships, his writing, his erudition, his anecdotes and his delivery. Hitchens was the greatest speaker I’ve ever seen, anywhere. The voice. The language. The emotion. The irony. Hitchens had the sort of timing comedians are envious of. He really must be one of the most charismatic and forceful speakers who ever lived.
- 00:00 – Introduction.
- 04:34 – Speaking In Prose. Peter Hitchens & The Current Media Landscape.
- 30:14 – Burning The Candle At Both Ends.
- 35:14 – Audiobooks & How Much Money Do Authors Make?
- 46:37 – Hitchens Is More Than Just Iraq & Atheism.
- 1:01:26 – Hitchens Upbringing, Mother, Father, Oxford & Mortality.
- 1:43:05 – What Hitchens Would Think About: Ukraine, Trump, Brexit, Wokeism & Political Extremes.
- 2:07:44 – Hitchens Legacy.
- 2:11:24 – What Was The Joe Rogan Experience Like?
- 2:22:14 – Conversation Between Christopher Hitchens & Someone Else.
- 2:23:47 – Afterthoughts – Hitchens Quotes, Hitchens Proust Quiostionaire & Ambition For The Podcast.
Articles I Have Written Regarding Christopher Hitchens.
Links To Ben Burgis