117: Patrick Alley | Blood Diamonds, Kleptocrats, Very Bad People & The Investigations Of Global Witness
December 19, 2022
Patrick Alley is a cofounder of an organisation called Global Witness which weeds out abuses of corruption, the environment and human rights across the world. Patrick recently wrote a book documenting these experiences and it all starts with the illegal timber trade in South-East Asia funding the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia and making possible all the horror and violence of the Cambodian communists.
In this chat Patrick Alley mentions…
- Founders Story Of Global Witness
- Illegal Timber Trading
- Very Bad People
- Economics Of Global Witness
- + Much More As Well…
Links To Patrick Alley
Episodes Of The Curious Worldview Podcast Mentioned.
Newsletter 📋 🔑 - https://atlasgeographica.com/subscribe
Follow My Instagram & Twitter 🐦
- 00:00 – Introduction.
- 01:36 – Global Witness Founding Story Bringing Down Cambodian Communists.
- 12:42 – Why Is There Corruption?
- 15:50 – Illegal Timber Trading & Deforestation.
- 22:36 – Financial Secrecy & Offshore Finance.
- 26:42 – What Made Global Witness So Good At Investigations.
- 35:46 – Benny Steinmetz, Dan Gertler, Imelda Marcos.
- 56:13 – Blood Diamonds.
- 1:05:53 – What Is The Key To Generating Media Interest?
- 1:11:29 – Economics Of Global Witness & George Soros.
- 1:21:58 – Is The World Getting Better? Which Issue Is Most Cancerous?
- 1:25:56 – Serendipity In Patrick Alley’s Life.
- 1:27:06 – Country Patrick Is Bullish On.
- 1:28:56 – Conversation Between Any Two People Of History.