128: Miki Mistrati | Child Slavery In The Chocolate Supply Chain
March 25, 2023
The following is with Miki Mistrati – a Danish investigative journalist who has spent a career uncovering cases of child slavery and the child labour rife throughout the chocolate supply chain.
He just released his new film on the matter titled ‘Chocolate Wars’ which is available on Amazon Prime.
Something horrific at the core of chocolate is just how easily and reliably Miki uncovered horrific stories of child theft and child labour upon every visit he made to Africa’s west coast.
- 00:00 – Introduction
- 03:05 – The Chocolate Supply Chain In Reverse
- 11:41 – Consistency In Dirty Supply Chains
- 18:29 – The Most Egregious Actor In The Chocolate Supply Chain
- 24:29 – Why It’s So Hard To Regulate The Chocolate Industry?
- 36:16 – Corruption & How The Industry Has Changed
- 45:43 – Dangers Of Reporting Child Slave Labour
- 54:42 – Horrific Child Slavery Stories & The BS Of Fair Trade
- 1:07:13 – Tonys Chocoloney
- 1:10:20 – Problem Of Disappearing Children
- 1:14:07 – Naming & Shaming The Explicit Brands
- 1:23:57 – Swiss Significance
- 1:26:50 – Greenwashing Everywhere
- 1:31:08 – What Would Miki Do With 10,000,000,000 Euros
- 1:32:05 – Similarities With Other Commodity Supply Chains
- 1:35:40 – Country You Are Bullish On & Conversation Between Any Two People Of History
Curious Things Mentioned During The Episode